Friday, October 30, 2009

Ego and some other stuff

EGO such a small word for such a recurring issue. This remains the number one issue in my life today, as far as I know. Thank God for deflation, and thank God for this program. Remembering that I am not the center of the Universe is a little easier today, but not always. I think that is why in my life, the only way to win this struggle is by working with others. That seems to be the only time that I am able to be completely removed from self. I think that is why Bill Wilson thought it was so important. For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead.. If he did not work, he would surely drink again, and if he drank he would surely die. (AA Big Book Pg.14) Sounds pretty important!

I have often said my sponsor or his sponsor saved my life. That is simply not true. The message they carried saved my life. Thank God for people who will carry this message. Thank God for people who told me the truth and got me working with others within days of getting sober. This is what keeps me alive, happy, joyous and free.

We need to be careful what we tell newcomers for this is life and death. I don't ever want to give my opinion, which may or may not be right. I only want to carry the message as laid out in the first 164 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Therein lies truth. And the Truth has set me free...

No comments:

Post a Comment